Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sometimes New Looks Very Old


According to Reuters News (See Full Story), the Salt Lake City International Airport is now the proud owner of a prototype device that is being used by the Transportation Security Agency (TSA) to process full body scans of passengers. The types of images that this scanner will produce are shown in the above series of actual photos.

Putting all the privacy issues and effectiveness questions aside, I would just like to point out that these images bear a striking resemblance to some of the scenes out of Fritz Lang's 1927 Movie, Metropolis. Click Here to See a Relevant Clip From That Movie.

By The Way. Whenever I see that scene and I see that crazed, long-haired guy who's pulling the lever, I can't help thinking about the similar friendliness that you see from many of those TSA screening agents that are deployed at every airport in America. I personally think this clip was used as a training film.

No comments: